U.S. shares rose, pointing to an extension of the rally that pushed main indexes to report highs for the umpteenth time this yr final week. Right here’s what we’re watching in Monday’s buying and selling session.
- Tesla shares fell more than 4% in early trading. Twitter customers directed Chief Govt Elon Musk to promote a tenth of his inventory—valued at round $21 billion Friday—in a web-based ballot.
- Commerce Desk jumped 19% after the advertising-software agency mentioned web earnings rose 44% within the third quarter from the identical interval in 2020.
- The promoting stress continued on Peloton Interactive, pushing shares of the fitness-equipment maker down 5.7%. The inventory started to droop final week after Peloton mentioned the return to gyms was hurting sales and subscriptions.
- Cryptocurrency trade Coinbase World rose 3.3% as bitcoin rallied 4.9% to $65,955.68. The cryptocurrency fell for 3 straight days by means of Friday.
- Merck slipped 1.6%, extending losses incurred final week when Pfizer mentioned preliminary information confirmed its Covid-19 tablet was efficient in stopping extreme sickness. Merck’s personal coronavirus tablet was cleared to be used within the U.Okay. final week.
- The infrastructure invoice’s passage boosted raw-material and gear corporations corresponding to Metal Dynamics , whose inventory was already on a tear earlier than the House approved the roughly $1 trillion legislation Friday. Nucor, Vulcan Supplies and Astec Industries had been among the many different shares benefiting from the prospect of spending on bridges and roads.
- Caterpillar shares gained 3.8%. Analysts at Credit score Suisse, UBS and Morgan Stanley raised their value targets for the industrial-equipment maker after its quarterly revenue greater than doubled.
- Plug Energy , shares of which are sometimes unstable, rose 6.5%. The developer of hydrogen-fuel programs stays nicely under its excessive from early 2021, regardless of rallying 50% within the fourth quarter by means of Friday.
Write to Joe Wallace at email@example.com